[Users] Replies appear as unread in ignored thread
George
2018-11-27 16:56:20 UTC

I notice something strange on one specific list:

1. I mark a thread as ignored (right clicking on its
very first message)

2. When a reply to that thread is posted it appears in
CM as unread rather than being ignored too. (check
attached screenshot - the message after the selected
one).

I have seen this happen only in this list and in more
than one thread. The only filter which applies to this
list just moves the message to a folder:

Condition: header "List-Id" matchcase "cfe-dev.lists.llvm.org" | to_or_cc matchcase "cfe-***@lists.llvm.org"

Action: move "#mh/Mailbox/cfe-dev"

I have no filters which would explicitly mark a
message as unread.

Has this anything to do with CM or is it a bug of the
list?

version 3.17.0git181
George
George
2018-12-01 08:51:42 UTC
It keeps happening (attached screenshot).
Can anyone comment please?
George
Brian Morrison
2018-12-02 00:00:27 UTC
On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 10:51:42 +0200
Post by George
It keeps happening (attached screenshot).
Can anyone comment please?
Are you seeing this happen in only this folder? Could there be
something unusual about the headers for messages in the list?

I don't know how the thread ignore function works, but it clearly has
to re-assess the state of the messages as the folder is opened after a
thread has a new message added to it. If that process happens in the
wrong order then it won't work, but if it is only this folder and/or
list mail that causes it I would be looking for something different in
the headers.

HTH
Brian
George
2018-12-02 10:41:23 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
Are you seeing this happen in only this folder?
Yes.
Post by Brian Morrison
Could there be something unusual about the headers
for messages in the list?
Like what?
Post by Brian Morrison
I don't know how the thread ignore function works,
but it clearly has to re-assess the state of the
messages as the folder is opened after a thread has
a new message added to it.
I have noticed that ignore thread works without having
to open a folder. So my understanding is that it does
not evaluate upon opening a particular one. But just
like you I don't know the inner workings of it.
Post by Brian Morrison
looking for something different in the headers.
For the messages from the last screenshot:

Message #1 (marked as "ignore thread"):

Message #2 (reply to #1, not marked as "ignore
thread"):

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 11:38:32 -0800

Message #3 (reply to #2, also not marked as "ignore thread"):

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 11:51:07 -0800
On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 12:41:23 +0200
Post by George
Message #2 (reply to #1, not marked as "ignore
It looks like you are missing a message between #1 and #2 above. Where
is the message with MID:
<***@mail.gmail.com>?

If the threading goes by the In-Reply-To: header or the last id in the

Mike Yetto
--
"It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so
long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your
- Edmund Way Teale
George
2018-12-03 04:48:11 UTC
On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 13:07:50 -0500 Michael A. Yetto
Post by Michael A. Yetto
It looks like you are missing a message between #1
I don't know.
Post by Michael A. Yetto
If the threading goes by the In-Reply-To: header or
the last id in the References: header there is a
break in your thread.
If the thread was started before I subscribed to that
list - why should that matter? CM obviously recognizes
that this is a thread (and displays it as a thread),
so logically - if the first message in it has been
marked as "ignore thread", why aren't the follow ups
ignored too?
George
Michael A. Yetto
2018-12-03 18:43:32 UTC
Post by Michael A. Yetto
If the threading goes by the In-Reply-To: header or
the last id in the References: header there is a
break in your thread.
If the thread was started before I subscribed to that
list - why should that matter? CM obviously recognizes
that this is a thread (and displays it as a thread),
so logically - if the first message in it has been
marked as "ignore thread", why aren't the follow ups
ignored too?
Yes it is threaded. No, it is not treated as an ignored message and
marked as read.

No, the message between your #1 and #2 is not there. Yes, message #2 is

I can easily imagine that this is an avenue to explore, but if you
think it is an obvious red herring you should look elsewhere.

Mike Yetto
--
"When kids look up to great scientists the way they do to great
musicians and actors, civilization will jump to the next level."
- Brian Greene
Andrej Kacian
2018-12-03 20:03:45 UTC
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 11:38:32 -0800
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 11:51:07 -0800
Do you have the "Thread using subject in addition to standard headers"
option enabled in preferences? Messages are only considered as
"belonging to thread" if they are connected by their In-Reply-To and/or
References headers.

There is a special case handled if the above mentioned option is
enabled and the message can be matched to a thread using its subject,
but only if the message has no In-Reply-To header, nor References
header (folder.c, around line 2450). I'd guess that is why these
messages do not have "ignored thread" flag set to them.

I'm not sure if that's correct, but it does make certain sense - a
message which has those two headers can be considered belonging to a
different thread, so we do not want to have the "ignored thread" flag
spread to this thread from the original thread.

Regards,
--
Andrej