New user of Claws-Mail -- some questions on features
Gil Weber
2013-03-20 16:23:33 UTC
Hello, everyone. I've just downloaded Claws-Mail 3.9.0 and installed it
into a SuSE 12.2 64 bit system. Previously I used KMail and am
hoping that some of the features I found useful in KMail are also
available on Claws-Mail. If so, I have not yet found how to activate
them either in the basic install or with plug-ins.

I also have not found a searchable archive of prior discussions so I
was not able to see if my issues have been asked before. Sorry....

1) Is there a way when addressing an outbound e-mail to display a list
of recently used entries (maybe the last 10) and then I can select
from among those for auto-completion?

2) Is there a way when addressing an e-mail to type a name or
just the first few letters of a name and Claws-Mail will display all
the possible entries in my address book? Then I could select one for
auto-completion.

For example, if I typed jo

Claws-Mail would respond with these names and their e-mail addresses:

johnson, walter
jones, edward
jones, michael
jones, thomas
jordan, bill

Or if I typed jones

Claws-Mail would respond with:

jones, edward
jones, michael
jones, thomas

etc.

3) I understand that I cannot send e-mails with html coding (for
example, I cannot underline or bold or add color to text).

But is there a way I can view e-mails sent to me in html format? I have
a lot of clients who send me e-mails where they compose a message
using various colors and other highlighting, and it's critical that I
am able to see that on my computer.

If I've asked these questions improperly or in the wrong format or
wrong forum please just let me know how/where to properly post.

Many thanks! :o)
Michael Rasmussen
2013-03-20 16:35:45 UTC
Welcome to the list:-)

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:23:33 -0400
Post by Gil Weber
1) Is there a way when addressing an outbound e-mail to display a list
of recently used entries (maybe the last 10) and then I can select
from among those for auto-completion?
2) Is there a way when addressing an e-mail to type a name or
just the first few letters of a name and Claws-Mail will display all
the possible entries in my address book? Then I could select one for
auto-completion.
To both. Just press the 'Tab' button to auto complete from address book.
Post by Gil Weber
3) I understand that I cannot send e-mails with html coding (for
example, I cannot underline or bold or add color to text).
But is there a way I can view e-mails sent to me in html format? I have
a lot of clients who send me e-mails where they compose a message
using various colors and other highlighting, and it's critical that I
am able to see that on my computer.
Install the fancy plugin from the claws-mail-plugins-extra packages.
--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
This fortune intentionally left blank.
Paul
2013-03-20 17:03:04 UTC
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 17:35:45 +0100
Post by Michael Rasmussen
Post by Gil Weber
1) Is there a way when addressing an outbound e-mail to display a
list of recently used entries (maybe the last 10) and then I can
select from among those for auto-completion?
2) Is there a way when addressing an e-mail to type a name or
just the first few letters of a name and Claws-Mail will display
all the possible entries in my address book? Then I could select
one for auto-completion.
To both. Just press the 'Tab' button to auto complete from address book.
That won't work for 1), recently used addresses are not stored in the
address book, however if you use the AddressKeeper plugin, this will
store all recipient addresses in an addressbook, and then Tab would
work for 1) and 2).

with regards

Paul
--
It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me,
but to a collector it is worth a fortune
Gil Weber
Gil
Brad Rogers
2013-03-20 16:36:21 UTC
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:23:33 -0400
Gil Weber <***@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Hello Gil,
Post by Gil Weber
I also have not found a searchable archive of prior discussions so I
was not able to see if my issues have been asked before. Sorry....
The list archive can be accessed from;
http://lists.claws-mail.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users, where you
can also log in and set various mail delivery options.
Post by Gil Weber
1) Is there a way when addressing an outbound e-mail to display a list
of recently used entries (maybe the last 10) and then I can select
from among those for auto-completion?
There's no recent history of used addresses, but if all the addressees
are in your address book.....
Post by Gil Weber
2) Is there a way when addressing an e-mail to type a name or
just the first few letters of a name and Claws-Mail will display all
the possible entries in my address book? Then I could select one for
auto-completion.
....you can use the <tab> key to get a list of people that fit the
criteria.
Post by Gil Weber
But is there a way I can view e-mails sent to me in html format? I have
Use of the "Fancy" plugin will allow you to see HTML mails in their
prettified form.
--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
Nasty - The Damned
Gil Weber
2013-03-20 17:09:14 UTC
Many thanks for the quick and helpful reply, Brad.

Yes, the "tab" suggestion is perfect. :o)

I knew about the archive, but it does not appear to be searchable.
Am I overlooking a search feature? If not how do you suggest I look up
topics in the future so that I am not initiating a discussion that's
been answered in the past?

I'll try "fancy" plug-in and see if that gets the result I'm seeking.

Again, thanks.

prettified form.
Chad Wallace
2013-03-20 17:24:32 UTC
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 13:09:14 -0400
Post by Gil Weber
I knew about the archive, but it does not appear to be searchable.
Am I overlooking a search feature? If not how do you suggest I look up
topics in the future so that I am not initiating a discussion that's
been answered in the past?
I usually just search with google. For example:

site:lists.claws-mail.org address completion
--
C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company
OpenPGP Public Key ID: 0x262208A0
Gil Weber
Thanks, Chad. Very helpful. :o)
Brad Rogers
2013-03-20 18:54:52 UTC

Post by Gil Weber
Many thanks for the quick and helpful reply, Brad.
Happy to help.
Post by Gil Weber
Yes, the "tab" suggestion is perfect. :o)
YW.
Post by Gil Weber
I knew about the archive, but it does not appear to be searchable.
Am I overlooking a search feature? If not how do you suggest I look up
No, you're not. The key word, which I overlooked, being *searchable*.
As Chad suggested, use google to do the hard work for you.
Post by Gil Weber
I'll try "fancy" plug-in and see if that gets the result I'm seeking.
I hope it helps.
Post by Gil Weber
Again, thanks.
And again, YW. ;-)
--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
What will you do when the gas taps turn?
The Gasman Cometh - Crass